Trail

Over 2,100 miles. Fourteen states. Countless white blazes to lead the way.

It's only five million steps, but it requires the first. This is my lead-up to that first step, and glimpses at selections of the total journey.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sharkies Sports Chews

On a trip to Wal-Mart today, I saw a pack of "Sharkies Kids Sports Chews" in the check-out lane. They were advertising the trial size pouches (40 cents). Being a fiend for gummy snacks, I could not help myself. They might serve as a plausible backpacking snack, so I grabbed a pack and decided to do a review of them.


The package states that they're an excellent source of Vitamin C (exact value listed below!), "No High Fructose Corn Syrup", "No Trans Fats", and "No Wheat Gluten & Nuts". All while being certified USDA organic. I have no allergies to gluten or nuts, but that could be a very key point to someone else (although these are packaged in a plant along with Soy, so that's also a consideration). Tropical Splash? I'm normally not a fan of "tropical" flavors, so this may be over before I even get to try them.


Checking the nutritional information (something I just started doing, and only in regards to backpacking food), I was surprised to see that 23g of fruit snacks gave 70 Calories (more than I figured they would - which is good for backpacking), no fats, a respectable amount of cations, and... wait, 58% of the daily recommended dose of Vitamin C? Well now, they have a very nice nutritional value in a pack that weighs less than three AAA batteries.


I opened the package, and quickly grabbed one and ate it. Oops, I'm trying to do a review of these, better take a picture of the next one... The texture was pretty good for a chewy candy. It's not like gummy bears - it feels like it will hold up fairly well in heat. The texture is somewhat similar to Sour Patch Kids - but a little more firm and a little less tacky. The way they're coated, I was expecting a slightly sour flavor, but they're not sour at all. Not overly sweet, either. The tropical flavors, to my abilities, were identified as lemon-lime, mango, passion fruit, and watermelon. But I'm terrible at these things. There may have also been pomegranate.

Curious, I went to find information about non-trial size packages of these. The retail packages will be 45g (12 pieces), and therefore 140 Calories and a full daily serving of Vitamin C. More surprisingly, they also have "Smart Twists" which appear to be similar to Twizzlers in appearance. The nutritional information for a single 20g twist: 70 Calories, 100% Vitamin C, and also has Omega 3s.

The downside is the price. For the little shark pieces, a box of 12 bags is around $18 (3.3 cents/gram), or 12 boxes, each with 5 bags (23g size, though, according to the site) for $48 (3.5 cents/gram). The twists are sold by the case: 12 boxes, each with 5 twists; so 60 twists for $48. It might be something valid for doing mail drops, or to keep a stock of and use when you do day hikes/weekend trips/single-supply backpacking trips. The shelf life seems pretty workable - the trial pack that I picked up today is best by 03/31/13.

If I'm resupplying and come across the trial packs in the future, I'll likely pick them up. Might be something good to keep handy in the hipbelt to grab at quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment