Trail

Over 2,100 miles. Fourteen states. Countless white blazes to lead the way.

It's only five million steps, but it requires the first. This is my lead-up to that first step, and glimpses at selections of the total journey.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Early Arrangements

ATC Map of the area around Bear Mountain (CT)
The planning process.

Actually, scratch that. The preparation process. There's no way to actually plan for what I'm about to do. No stone strong enough to hold any inkling of an idea as to where, when, or even who once I'm at Springer.

I've set up this blog to provide updates to friends and family on whatever schedule I'm able and willing to do so. If I can figure out a solid way to automate the process, I may set up a feed where I can simply text my location and have it provide a rough idea of where that equates to on a map. If I can't figure that out, maybe I can convince someone to make updates on my behalf. Or not.

The date I'm aiming to start the Appalachian Trail itself is April 25th, 2012. If all goes according to plan, that means I'll do the Approach Trail in Amicalola on April 24th, camp out, let a night of the trail seep in, and begin the next morning.

Until I actually depart, this blog will serve as a track of my preparation, my gear, and whatever random thoughts arise that are associated with this.

Feel free to follow and share. Or not. I'll be following the blazes of white regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment